The family of a 17-year-old girl from Standish who ran away from home with her boyfriend last month said Monday that the girl is not expected to survive injuries she suffered in a car crash in Oklahoma during a high-speed police chase.

Collette Boure sustained a life-altering brain injury in the crash Sunday in Hugo, Oklahoma, Boure’s family said.

“It’s not looking good at all,” said Stacey Grindel of Standish, Boure’s stepmother. “We’ve been spoken to about organ donation.”

It’s unclear what charges could be brought against Boure’s boyfriend, Alexander Meyers, 17, of Portland. Boure’s grandmother Stacy Lary said authorities told her that Meyers was driving the car. He escaped uninjured and was arrested by police.

Jennifer Meyers, Alexander Meyers’ mother, declined to comment when reached by phone Monday.

Boure’s family members were en route Monday night to Christus St. Michael’s Hospital in Texarkana, Texas, where Boure was taken by helicopter. A nursing supervisor at the hospital said Monday night that she wasn’t able to provide an update on Boure’s condition.


Authorities in Oklahoma have not said where the teenagers were headed or why they wouldn’t stop when police tried to pull them over.

“They didn’t really tell us very much,” said Michael Grindel, Boure’s father. “They said there was an incident, and they gave us the info for the hospital.”

In a phone interview Monday, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper Dwight Durant declined to speak about the wreck because charges could be filed.

The 40-mile chase began in Idabel about 11:30 p.m. Sunday when an Idabel police officer tried to stop the car with Maine plates for speeding as it traveled west on Route 70, an East-West highway in the southeastern corner of the state, said Idabel Police Chief John Martin. When the driver did not pull over, the officer gave chase. The pursuit reached speeds in excess of 100 mph, Martin said.

He said officers stationed themselves in Hugo, about 40 miles west of Idabel, to intercept the 2014 Toyota, which had been reported stolen. The crash occurred when the Toyota’s driver tried to evade police, Martin said.

There was no preliminary evidence that drugs or alcohol were involved, and Martin said he did not know why the Maine teenagers were in Oklahoma.


Early Monday, Martin said that his agency was holding Meyers, and that the local district attorney’s office and the juvenile justice authorities had yet to decide on charges.

Calls later Monday evening to the district attorney’s office and to Martin were not returned, and it was unknown whether Meyers had been charged.

In Maine, the families of both teenagers were still trying to make sense of what had occurred.

Lary, Boure’s paternal grandmother, said neither Meyers nor her granddaughter had a driver’s license, but she was informed that Meyers was behind the wheel. She said her granddaughter refused to learn how to drive, preferring to ride with others.

“I’m about to fly there and sit with her when they take her off the machines,” Lary said. “I tried so hard to keep this kid safe.”

According to Boure’s family, no one had heard from either of the teenagers for days, and no one knew whether they were still in Maine.


Boure was first reported missing Oct. 13, and Meyers was reported missing Oct. 21.

Lary said she helped raise Boure, especially during the years when Michael Grindel, Lary’s son and Boure’s father, was finishing college.

After Grindel graduated and got an apartment, he took custody of Boure again. Boure’s mother, Madeline Boure, had been estranged from her daughter for years, family members said.

When Grindel got married and had more children, Lary said Collete struggled to adapt, despite the best efforts of her father and stepmother.

“Collette being a teenager would test the boundaries, and that’s where some of the issues came in,” Lary said.

It was the usual teenage problems, Lary said, “not doing things that she’s supposed to be doing, not being where she was supposed to be, taking off and not telling anyone where she would be.”


Stacey Grindel said she and her husband worked hard to love Boure and help her through some of her angst.

“As a step-parent, you love them like they’re your own,” Stacey Grindel said. “I hope she knows that. My family loved her like she was my biological child.”

As the teenage years progressed, Boure became more rebellious, Lary said.

After her granddaughter met Alexander Meyers about a year ago some of the discipline issues accelerated, and Boure asked to live with her mother in Windham, where she thought she would be freer from parental rules, Lary said.

Boure had recently gotten in trouble after she and Meyers, a lobsterman, were caught by the Maine Marine Patrol trying to steal a boat so Meyers could fish his lobster traps, Lary said.

In a deal with the courts that kept Boure from house arrest, Lary helped place Boure in a program in Lewiston for troubled teens. Lary had been hoping to get Boure into a program that teaches teenagers to become independent so that she could move out on her own, but Boure rejected that idea, Lary said.

A short time later, Boure ran away with Meyers, she said.

“She was just bright and funny and beautiful, and broken,” Lary said. “I think she was angry at the whole world.”


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.