An elderly Lebanon woman was rescued from her burning home Wednesday but her dog, which was in a kennel, died in the fire at 62 Grey Birch Lane.

The woman who was helped out of the home told firefighters that there was a pet on the second floor, the Lebanon Fire and Rescue Department said in a statement on its Facebook page.

“Crews were able to locate the family pet. The dog was in a kennel and unresponsive after being exposed for many minutes to heavy smoke conditions,” the department said. “Medical crews on scene administered oxygen and performed CPR in hopes of reviving the animal. Unfortunately their attempts were in vain.”

The department said the alarm came in at 10:21 a.m. When crews arrived, they encountered heavy smoke pushing through two sides of the house. Grey Birch Lane was shut down to traffic while crews fought the fire.

The fire appears to have started in the kitchen and may have been caused by someone cooking on the stove. No injuries were reported.

Firefighters did not clear the fire scene until 2:30 p.m.

filed under: