A Fairfield man will head to court in April after allegedly assaulting two Fairfield police officers Saturday night when they went to a home on Kelley Street in response to a report of a disturbance.

Christopher William O’Shea, 52, whose address is unknown, was taken into custody after police arrived at 6 Kelley St. around 5:16 p.m., according to Fairfield police Officer Casey Dugas, who was at the scene and was one of the officers assaulted.

Dugas said Sunday that while police were removing O’Shea from the home, he became combative, damaged the home and assaulted him and Officer Jordan Brooks. The officers suffered only minor injuries and required no medical attention, according to Dugas, who said police used pepper spray to subdue O’Shea.

O’Shea was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, two counts of assault on an officer and two counts of criminal mischief.

“Fairfield Rescue was immediately dispatched to render first aid for the pepper spray exposure as well as injuries that O’Shea inflected upon himself once in the back of the cruiser,” Dugas said Sunday in a news release. “After being treated, O’Shea was transported to the Somerset County Jail.”

In a phone interview, Dugas declined to say how O’Shea assaulted the officers or what damages he did to the home. Asked what precipitated O’Shea’s conduct, Dugas said, “Alcohol was a factor.”


Dugas said O’Shea suffered minor, self-inflicted scrapes to his face and head while he was in the back of the cruiser.

He is scheduled to appear April 11 in Skowhegan District Court, Dugas said.

Kelley Street runs between High and West streets in Fairfield. The home where the incident occurred is at the corner of Preble and Kelley streets, according to Dugas.

Amy Calder — 861-9247

[email protected]

Twitter: @AmyCalder17

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.