The Augusta Fire Department credited fire alarms with saving a family of five and most of their home at Sunday night.

The fire started in the attached garage and spread into the breezeway, which the family closed off, containing most of the home’s damage to the garage, said Deputy Fire Chief Dave Groder. The ranch-style home at 379 Cony Road in Augusta is owned by Jeffrey Jr. and Amber Robertson.

The fire was determined to be caused by wood stove ashes that were discarded too close to the residence. It was reported around 8:30 p.m. No one was hurt.

The American Red Cross is assisting the Robertsons until they can return to the home. Groder said the bedrooms in the breezeway were lost, and there was minimal smoke damage.  

Winthrop, Chelsea, Gardiner, Vassalboro and Togus fire departments also responded to the call. Units cleared the scene around midnight.

Augusta Fire Department and the Red Cross are offering free smoke detector installations on April 27, according to a post on the department’s Facebook page. Families who are interested in participating may contact 874-1192, ext. 113, or email [email protected]


Abigail Austin — 621-5631
[email protected]
Twitter: @AbigailAustinKJ

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: