FARMINGTON — A 75-year-old man and 72-year-old woman died Saturday morning from injuries sustained in a house fire on Clover Mill Road.

It was the third fatal fire in Maine this week.

Fire and police officials responded to a call just before 5 a.m. at 160 Clover Mill Road for a fire that appeared to start as a result of combustible material placed next to the wood stove, according to an announcement Saturday from the Office of State Fire Marshal.

William Vincent, 75, died at the scene. His wife, Tomasa Vincent, 72, initially escaped the home, but died of her injuries later in the day at Maine Medical Center. Both lived at the residence.

Investigators believe that the fire was accidental, according to the release. Along with the Farmington Fire Department, firefighters from Temple, New Sharon, Jay, Wilton and Strong assisted at the scene, as well as the North Star Ambulance service.

Fires in Lincoln and Camden killed two children in recent days.


An intense house fire Thursday in Camden took the life of 14-year-old Theodore Hedstrom, who was found in a sleeping area near where the blaze started. Two adults were in the house, and one was critically injured trying to reach the boy.

The fire marshal’s office said the fire was likely accidental and it started near an electrical panel that had recently been worked on during the installation of a clothes dryer. The house was destroyed, and a GoFundMe page set up to help with the cost of rebuilding had raised nearly $100,000 as of Saturday afternoon.

The fire marshal’s office did not have a definitive cause of the Camden fire as of Saturday afternoon, spokeswoman Katy England said.

On Monday night, a blaze in Lincoln killed 7-year-old Adele Parent. The three adults in the house were unable to reach her because of intense heat and smoke fueled by kerosene from a plastic container that failed.

The Lincoln fire also started in an area where electrical work had recently taken place. Neighbors and local businesses also have started a fundraising drive to help the Parent family.

“Our hearts go out to the family and friends of the victims of this and the previous fires,” England said Saturday night. “The Fire Marshal’s Office would like to stress the importance of maintaining working fire detectors in homes.”

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: