WINSLOW — A 17-year-old male from Sidney faces charges after leading police Tuesday night on a high-speed chase through central Maine, during which he rammed a Winslow police cruiser and later hit another car, according to officers.

The chase occurred after Officer Charles Theobald saw a 2014 Chevrolet pickup truck being driven erratically at about 8:50 p.m. on Smiley Avenue in Winslow, according to Winslow Police Chief Leonard Macdaid.

The white pickup was reportedly traveling as fast as 80 mph in the residential neighborhood, which has a posted speed limit of 25 mph.

When Theobald attempted to stop the pickup, the driver, whom police have not identified, continued driving and a chase ensued, according to police.

Macdaid said the truck sped through Benton and into Clinton, at times swerving and almost hitting several vehicles. The pickup then merged onto the southbound lane of Interstate 95.

At mile marker 133, Fairfield police officers deployed spike mats, which flattened the truck’s tires. The operator continued to drive, however, and exited I-95 at mile marker 132 in Fairfield, near the Circle K truck stop.


“He was going so fast he went over the curb at Central Maine Power (205 Center Road) and went into the parking lot,” Macdaid said. “Officer Theobald saw this and drove to the parking lot trying to block him off. He rammed through the front of the cruiser, went around the cruiser and took off.”

The pickup then continued on Center Street, toward Waterville.

Theobald was not hurt when his cruiser was rammed, according to Macdaid, although the cruiser was badly damaged.

Waterville police Sgt. Josh Woods said although his department had not yet gotten involved in the chase, a Waterville officer was sent to where the pickup was thought to be headed. Before the officer arrived, however, the truck collided with a 2006 Mazda at the intersection of Main Street and Ridge Road.

Woods said the crash happened at 9:06 p.m., about 16 minutes after the initial report in Winslow.

Police said the pickup truck failed to stop at the stop sign on Ridge Road, before turning onto Main Street and heading toward Waterville, when the operator collided with the passenger side of the Mazda.


The car’s driver was taken to the hospital with injuries not considered life-threatening.

“I would probably estimate that both vehicles are totaled,” Woods said, referring to the Mazda and Chevrolet pickup.

Macdaid said the driver of the pickup was charged with eluding an officer, aggravated reckless conduct and speeding more than 30 mph above the posted limit.

Macdaid said he could not confirm whether the suspect had a driver’s license or to whom the vehicle was registered. He said there were no passengers inside the pickup during the chase.

“He is a juvenile, so he wasn’t arrested. He was turned back over to his parents,” Macdaid said. “There’s pending charges. We did a test so I’m not sure what the results will tell us.”

Comments are not available on this story.