OAKLAND — Double digits separated the Maranacook and Spruce Mountain girls soccer teams in the final Heal point standings of the season. Double digits separated the two teams again Wednesday night.

At halftime.

The No. 3 Black Bears led 11-nil at the break, en route to a 12-0 victory over No. 13 Spruce Mountain in a Class C South quarterfinal played at Messalonskee High School’s Veterans Field. Senior Emily Harper had four goals and four assists in the victory, while classmate Anna Erb added a pair of goals for Maranacook (13-1-1).

The Black Bears will meet the winner of Thursday’s quarterfinal between No. 2 Oak Hill and No. 7 Old Orchard Beach in Friday’s regional semifinal.

“Playing on turf is a benefit for us,” said Harper, noting Maranacook only played twice previously this season on artificial surfaces. “I’ve been really impressed with us on turf. Our passing is really sharp.”

There were no opening-round jitters for the Black Bears.


After earning a bye in the opening round of the tournament, while Spruce Mountain (4-11-0) tuned up with an upset over No. 6 Mt. Abram in the prelims last week, Maranacook was all business from the opening kick.

Maranacook’s Ella Delisle, left, chases the ball by Spruce Mountain goalkeeper Emma Towers during a Class C South girls soccer quarterfinal Wednesday in Oakland. Andy Molloy/Kennebec Journal

The hosts were on the front foot from the outset, scoring three goals inside the first 180 seconds of play. The rout was on.

Seven different players collected at least one goal in the first 40 minutes of play, a testament to the side’s ability — and willingness — to use all areas of the field from which to attack.

“I think we did a lot of preparation for this game,” Harper said. “We were mentally really ready. We came out strong and we weren’t thinking about who we were playing. We knew we had to be tough no matter what.”

“That’s something we’ve worked on all four years here,” Erb said. “I think we’ve gotten better with it.”

The only time the ball got even close to the Maranacook half was each time it was rolled back to the center dot following another Black Bear goal.

In fact, it took a full 36 minutes for the Phoenix to foray into the attacking half of the pitch. Following a foul to Harper, a Spruce Mountain free kick generated enough momentum to cross midfield before it was returned straight back as a Maranacook scoring chance.

By the time the second half began, Maranacook coach Travis Magnusson had given his starters the rest of the evening off.

Related Headlines

Comments are not available on this story.