LITCHFIELD — A man equipped with a garden hose limited the spread of a fire in his Litchfield trailer home Wednesday until emergency crews arrived at the scene and knocked down the blaze in about 15 minutes.

No one was injured in the afternoon fire at 14 Hathorne Lane, according to Litchfield Fire Chief Michael Sherman.

“It was a darn good stop, and certainly the efforts of the man with a garden hose helped to hold it at bay until we could put it out,” Sherman said.

The damage to the home was “pretty minimal,” the chief said. When he arrived on scene, flames were confined to the wall farthest away from the driveway.

“The bathroom and its contents are pretty much gone, but the other rooms have savable content,” Sherman said. “The vast majority of the trailer is intact and untouched aside from some smoke damage.”

The cause of the fire, which was reported at 3:48 p.m. Wednesday, has not yet been determined. The homeowner was next door when he noticed the flames and began to tackle the blaze with his garden hose, Sherman said.

A town official said the address is listed as “inactive” in its records, and the value of the home is not included in Litchfield’s 2021 tax commitment records.

Fire and rescue crews from Monmouth, Wales, Sabattus and Gardiner assisted the Litchfield department on scene.

Comments are not available on this story.