TOPSHAM — Scoring goals comes easy to Myles Culley — even in big games, like the Class C South boys soccer regional championship.

Culley turned in a hat trick, scoring all three goals in the top-seeded Flyers’ 3-0 victory over second-seeded Mt. Abram at Mt. Ararat High School.

The Flyers move on to face Fort Kent (16-1) in the Class C title game Saturday at Hampden Academy. Waynflete has won the past three Class C state championships (2018, 2019, 2021).

Wednesday’s regional final was a knock-down, dragged-out fight that caused a couple of injuries and tempers to flare.

“Quite physical,” Culley said. “Credit to Mt. Abram. They are physical, they play fast (and) they play hard. They left it all out there, but at the end of the day, we took it.”

“I think neither team wanted to play that way,” Waynflete coach Brandon Salway said. “ I think it got chippy there at times. I think both teams were adjusting to the way things were.”


Salway estimates that Culley’s season goal total stands at 47.

“Culley is an amazing player,” Salway said. “He had a great season. He wants to win more than anything. He is a special, special player. He has done it against every team that has lined up against him. He is just a special talent.”

Culley’s first score came late in the first half. The senior forward leaped in the air and drilled a shot from 30 yards out. His shot caught the top of right corner of the Mt. Abram net for an unassisted goal 27:45 into the first half to give the top-ranked Flyers (15-1-1) a 1-0 lead.

Goalie Logan Dube kept the Roadrunners in the hunt with a couple of gutsy saves in the first half. He made a total of nine stops in the game.

“It took us a little while in the first half to settle in our game,” Salway said. “Mt. Abram is good team. Darren (Allen) does great job with them. So it took a little time to settle in. You are playing against a team you haven’t played this year. It takes a little time to figure them out a little bit.”

“I thought we played pretty intelligently today. We shared the bal. (Goalie) Nico Kirby came up with a huge save at the end. Our back four was really solid today, too.”


Culley scored his second and third goal in the second half, with one coming after a penalty called on the Roadrunners at the 14:11 mark.

“Of course, the turning point of the game was the PK call, which it was contested,” Allen said. “I never, ever say anything bad about referees, but that was a horrible call.”

Allen said the trip was called in the box and the player fell down.

“Waynflete doesn’t need any help with PKs,” Allen said. “It was a horrible call. That was the turning point in the game, and I never, every say anything bad about officials.”

Despite the difficult loss, Allen is proud of what the Roadrunners accomplished this year.

“Estatic with these guys,” he said. “After last year, I didn’t know what to expect from these guys. But the way we fought and battled — we played Waynflete tough. I am a loss for word right now. Our kids played tough.”

Culley added his second unassisted goal with 12:43 left in the game.

He lauded the play of the Flyers’ defense for holding Mt. Abram scoreless.

“Today, (our) backline was great,” Cully said. “(The Roadrunners) didn’t have many chances. The back line was great. I think we won the midfield battle. I am just happy to be here, happy to bring the win home. Again, credit to Mt. Abram. They are a good squad, but I am proud of (our) boys.”

Related Headlines

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.