PORTLAND PRESS HERALD DARKROOM
South Portland pipeline

/

Helpful tips...

esc button

Use the LEFT / RIGHT keys to navigate the Darkroom

esc button

Use the UP key to show captions

esc button

Use the DOWN key to hide captions

esc button

Use the ESC key to close Darkroom

Find other amazing Darkroom photos below

  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Construction started in the summer of 1941 on an underground pipeline that would ship crude oil from the South Portland waterfront to refineries in Montreal. This is a view of the former ferry landing at Portland Street, near the intersection of Sawyer and Front streets. Note the tall, rectangular grain elevators in the background, on the Portland waterfront across the harbor.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Workers move pipe for the Portland Pipe Line Corp. on the South Portland waterfront near Front Street, where installation of the underground pipeline began in 1941.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    A tractor hoists heavy pipe at Sawyer and Front streets for the Portland Pipe Line Corp. Built in 1941, the pipeline was completed in less than five months and extended 236 miles to refineries in Montreal.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Workers and bystanders in South Portland’s Ferry Village neighborhood watch as a tractor hauls pipe from the waterfront up Sawyer Street, to be installed for the Portland Pipeline Corp. in 1941.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Pipe is laid in a trench along Sawyer Street, near the waterfront in South Portland, for the Portland Pipeline Corp. in 1941.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Safety standards were different in 1941, when huge pipes were hoisted beside people and cars as the pipeline was installed by the Portland Pipe Line Corp.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Contractors came from across the country to South Portland to work on the 236-mile pipeline in 1941. Construction started in June and oil was flowing by November.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Workers lay pipe for the Portland Pipe Line Corp. along Sawyer Street in 1941 as residents of South Portland’s Ferry Village neighborhood mill about.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Crews prepare a waterfront area surrounded by earthen berms along Front Street in South Portland, where the Portland Pipe Line Corp. installed its first two oil storage tanks.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Workers install a chain-link fence near one of two oil storage tanks that were built at Portland and Front streets on the South Portland waterfront in 1941.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    The Portland waterfront can be seen across the harbor, beyond one of two oil storage tanks that the Portland Pipe Line Corp. installed at Portland and Front streets in South Portland in 1941.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Dredging barges deepen the harbor where the Portland Pipe Line Corp. built a pier off Front Street in South Portland to receive oil tankers in 1941.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    The Portland waterfront can be seen beyond dredging barges that deepened the harbor for tankers that would deliver oil to the Portland Pipe Line Corp. in 1941.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    The first tankers to deliver oil to the Portland Pipe Line Corp. in November 1941 can be seen between two storage tanks along Front Street in South Portland.

    Show
  • Hide
    South Portland pipeline - Photo courtesy Etta Gregory Watts Collection, South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    The first tankers deliver oil to the Portland Pipe Line Corp. on Nov. 4 and 7, 1941. Oil began flowing in the 236-mile pipeline on Nov. 10 and began arriving at refineries in Montreal on Nov. 15.

    Show