BANGOR — The mother of a New Orleans man who was shot to death in Bangor last year says she’s pleased with the killer’s conviction.
A jury convicted Antoinne “Prince” Bethea of New Haven, Connecticut, on Wednesday of manslaughter in the death of Terrance Durel Sr.
Durel was shot outside a home that Bethea shared with Durel’s estranged girlfriend.
Durel’s mother, Theresa Reed of New Orleans, said she would have preferred a murder conviction but she’s “happy” that Bethea is going to prison.
Bethea had rejected a deal calling for him to plead guilty to manslaughter.
After the killing in April 2017, he shaved his dreadlocks, ditched the gun and fled the state. His lawyer said that the shooting was self-defense and that Bethea panicked afterward.
Comments are not available on this story. Read more about why we allow commenting on some stories and not on others.
We believe it's important to offer commenting on certain stories as a benefit to our readers. At its best, our comments sections can be a productive platform for readers to engage with our journalism, offer thoughts on coverage and issues, and drive conversation in a respectful, solutions-based way. It's a form of open discourse that can be useful to our community, public officials, journalists and others.
We do not enable comments on everything — exceptions include most crime stories, and coverage involving personal tragedy or sensitive issues that invite personal attacks instead of thoughtful discussion.
You can read more here about our commenting policy and terms of use. More information is also found on our FAQs.
Show less