The Bangor Police Department has identified four of the people aboard a private jet that crashed at the Bangor International Airport during a major snowstorm last month.
The Maine Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has positively identified the remains of Tara Arnold, 46, Jacob Hosmer, 47, and Jorden Reidel, 33, all of Texas; as well as 34-year-old Shelby Kuyawa of Hawaii, a police spokesperson said Tuesday afternoon.
Six people were on the aircraft, which was bound for France on the evening of Jan. 25 when it crashed, inverted and caught fire shortly after attempting to take off.
Three of those identified Tuesday — Arnold, Kuyawa and Hosmer — had been previously named by relatives and local media outlets. The department did not specify whether the four were passengers or members of the crew, but friends and relatives have said Hosmer was a pilot, and Arnold and Kuyawa were both passengers.
Federal Aviation Administration records indicate that Jorden Reidel was licensed to fly single and multi-engine planes, as well as helicopters. He was certified as recently as June 2023, records show.
Family members of Reidel did not return online messages and voicemails Tuesday afternoon. A woman who answered the phone at a number associated with one of Reidel’s siblings said “no comment,” before hanging up.
“The OCME’s office is still working to positively identify the final two victims,” the department said in a written statement. “There is no further information at this time.”
Arnold was an attorney from the Houston area who started Beyond, a luxury travel company with her husband, Kurt Arnold. Kuyawa was a sommelier who worked for Beyond and had traveled the world growing up, according to her biography on the company’s website.
Hosmer worked as a pilot for more than a decade, according to his LinkedIn profile. He took a job in May as team captain for Arnold & Itkin, the law firm founded by the Arnolds, according to the profile.
The remains of the passengers sat in snow-covered wreckage until three days after the crash.
The storm dropped more than a foot of snow over the airport, forcing the cancellation of thousands of flights across the country and delaying the arrival of federal investigators. The airport reopened to regular traffic Thursday.
The crash remains under investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board, which is expected to release a preliminary report this month. The final report, including a probable cause for the crash, will take one to two years.
Comments are not available on this story. Read more about why we allow commenting on some stories and not on others.
We believe it's important to offer commenting on certain stories as a benefit to our readers. At its best, our comments sections can be a productive platform for readers to engage with our journalism, offer thoughts on coverage and issues, and drive conversation in a respectful, solutions-based way. It's a form of open discourse that can be useful to our community, public officials, journalists and others.
We do not enable comments on everything — exceptions include most crime stories, and coverage involving personal tragedy or sensitive issues that invite personal attacks instead of thoughtful discussion.
You can read more here about our commenting policy and terms of use. More information is also found on our FAQs.
Show less