Maine candidates for governor Troy Jackson and Bobby Charles will meet for a debate in Auburn next week.
The debate between Jackson, a Democrat and former Maine Senate president, and Charles, a Republican and former U.S. assistant secretary of state, is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 25 at the Hilton Garden Inn Auburn Riverwatch.
Jackson challenged Charles to a debate — and Charles accepted — earlier this month. Jackson said he was frustrated with what he considered to be racist narratives Charles has pushed about immigrants, including Somali Americans.
Jackson’s campaign released details of the event Monday. They said press is invited to cover the debate, but it will not be open to the public “at the insistence of Charles.”
The Charles campaign did not respond to emails or a phone message seeking comment.
The debate will be moderated by Andy O’Brien, communications director for the Maine AFL-CIO, and Carroll Conley. Conley is the former executive director of the Christian Civic League of Maine, according to his LinkedIn page.
Topics to be covered will include law enforcement, crime, drugs, immigration, ICE enforcement and government corruption.
Jackson and Charles are among nearly two dozen candidates vying to replace Democratic Gov. Janet Mills, who is term limited and is running for the U.S. Senate.
Jackson’s campaign will be livestreaming the debate on Facebook, and a spokesperson said it may also be broadcast on local television stations.