CUTLER — The Little River Lighthouse in Cutler will be open to the public next Saturday.
Boats will leave from the Cutler Town Boat Landing to take visitors to the 15-acre island, where they can tour the restored keeper’s house, climb the tower, hike the trails and enjoy sea songs performed by local musicians.
The historic 1847 lighthouse, which is now on the National Register of Historic Places, was listed in 1996 by Maine Preservation as one of the state’s 10 most endangered historic properties. In 2002, the Little River Lighthouse ownership was transferred to a nonprofit group.
Visitors to the lighthouse should be prepared to get their feet wet while boarding and getting off boats. Small children must have their own life jackets.