WATERVILLE — A pizzeria that owners say will have an “old world feel” is planned to open in the former George’s restaurant at 4 Union St. the week of Oct. 16.
Michelina’s Apizza, owned by Marleena and Michael Pilla of China, got a green light Tuesday night when city councilors voted 6-0 to approve a food license for the restaurant.
Michael Pilla has been renovating the inside of the restaurant for the last month. The couple is leasing the space from the George family, which owned George’s restaurant. That eatery closed in July 2010.
“They’re letting us do what we want inside the building,” Marleena Pilla said. “They’re a wonderful, wonderful family. They’ve helped us quite a lot. They’re just a beautiful family.”
The restaurant, named for the Pillas’ grandmother, as well as for their two daughters, Angelina and Micayla, will seat 24 people and offer takeout. Marleena Pilla said they do not plan to hire any employees; rather, they will operate the restaurant themselves.
Michael Pilla was most recently a newspaper pressman who worked for the Kennebec Journal and Marleena Pilla is a certified nurse’s aide and has been working part-time for Genesis Health Care.
She said she worked in a restaurant when she was younger and always dreamed of having her own.
“I can’t believe it’s happening,” she said. “I’m just so eager — I’m so hungry, actually. I love feeding people.”
She said the restaurant will have Neapolitan-style pizza, which means a thinner crust, as well as grinders, salads, Italian dishes and pizza specialties.
In other matters Tuesday, councilors took final votes to approve changes to the city’s licenses and permits ordinance.
They also voted to:
* Approve a lease for space in the main terminal building at Robert LaFleur Municipal Airport, for Airlink LLC.
* Appropriate $40,000 from the general fund to cover the cost of refinancing a $3.3 million bond.
* Issue a pole permit to Thomas College, for poles on Eaglewood Drive.
* Establish hours for voter registration, appoint election clerks and authorize a municipal election to be held Nov. 6.
* Appoint Percy Smith a commissioner to Waterville Sewerage District, with a term to expire in 2017; and appoint Timothy Wing a member of the Waterville Public Library Board of Trustees, with a term to expire in 2016.
Amy Calder — 861-9247