Augusta crews fight chimney fire
AUGUSTA — No one was injured in a chimney fire early Sunday at 8 Davenport St.
The two people sleeping in the home at the time were awakened by smoke, and the alarm was called in at 1:30 a.m.
“Firefighters had to take the wall out,” said Augusta Fire Department Battalion Chief Scott Dunbar. “Other than that, there was no damage at all.”
Firefighters spent about 90 minutes at the scene, and by the end, the residents were able to return because they had an alternate heating source, he said, adding that the home is insured.
Sprinkler floods Whitten Road store
AUGUSTA — A sprinkler head froze and burst early Sunday, flooding the foyer at Hannaford Bros. supermarket on Whitten Road.
However, the store was able to open on time just three hours later as a result of quick work by a cleanup crew, said Steve Rancourt, assistant manager. “We got to it right away,” he said.
Augusta firefighters were called to the store just after 4 a.m. and Battalion Chief Scott Dunbar said there was a considerable amount of water on the floor.
At 5:20 p.m., a caller from Radio Shack on Xavier Loop, reported shoplifting.
At 7:36 p.m., a 47-year-old Winthrop woman was issued a summons charging her with theft of lost property.
At 7:36 p.m., Mark G. Bohurjak, 42 of Augusta, was arrested on Noyes Court on a charge of domestic violence assault.
10:49 p.m., John F. Gilboy, 37, of Augusta, was arrested at Walmart, Civic Center Drive, on a charge of theft by unauthorized taking or transfer.
11:56 p.m., John R. Crowley, 27, of Augusta, was arrested on a warrant after police responded to a report of a disturbance/disorderly conduct at Commercial and Water streets.