Maine’s job bank has posted about 6,900 open positions, including roughly 1,000 new jobs, since the beginning of March, state Department of Labor officials said Monday.
The job bank, a service provided by the department, is an online job board that is free for both employers and job-seekers. Its website is at mainecareercenter.com.
In addition, the department said that job fairs will be held this week in Portland, Springvale and Machias. Hundreds of employers will be hiring for both permanent and seasonal positions, it said.
“Employers are hiring at job fairs all over the state,” Gov. Paul LePage said in a news release. “The Department of Labor is coordinating or participating in 13 job fairs between now and June, and more are in development. Now is a great time to get a job in Maine.”
Job-seekers who need to update their resumes or practice their interviewing skills should contact a Labor Department career center for free help, officials said.
For more information about how to prepare for a job fair, update a resume, and other job-search programs and to locate the closest career center, visit the career center website, maine careercenter.com.
Businesses interested in participating in the job fairs and taking advantage of other free hiring services that the department provides, such as the job bank, interviewing space and referrals, should contact their local career center, they said.
The following job fairs have been scheduled around the state:
• Portland: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Maine Sunday Telegram/Monster Spring Career Fair at the Italian Heritage Center in Portland.
• Machias: 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday at the Lee-Pellon Event Center.
• Springvale: Fourth Annual York County Regional Job Fair, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday at the Nasson Community Center, 457 Main St.
• Lewiston/Auburn: 11th Annual Androscoggin County Job Fair, 9 a.m. to noon April 4 at Central Maine Community College, 1250 Turner St., Auburn.
• Presque Isle: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 9 at the Northeastland Hotel.
• Calais: 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. April 17 at the Washington County Community College Gymnasium.
• Lincoln: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 24 at Mattanawcook Academy, 33 Reed Drive.
• South Paris: 9 a.m. to noon April 24 at the Oxford Hills Comprehensive High School in the cafeteria.
• Augusta: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 24, Hiring Maine’s Heroes (general public welcome) at the Augusta Armory, 179 Western Ave.
• Pittsfield: Pittsfield Area Regional Job Fair, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. May 14 at the Warsaw Middle School Gym and Cafeteria, 167 School St.
• Farmington: Western Maine Community Job and Resource Fair, 9 a.m. to noon May 22 at the Fitness and Recreation Center at UMF, 152 Quebec St.
• Bangor: 9 a.m. to noon May 28 at the Spectacular Event Center, 395 Griffin Road.
• Augusta: First Annual State of Maine Government and Maine Municipal Government Job Fair for Veterans, June 17 at the Augusta Armory.
J. Craig Anderson can be contacted at 207-791-6390 or at: