Authorities said Wednesday that any conclusions about the cause of Monday’s fatal collision between an Amtrak train and a trash truck will depend on an extended analysis that won’t be completed soon.

“This is going to be a long investigation,” said North Berwick Police Chief Stephen Peasley, whose department is leading the probe into the state’s worst train crash in years. “I can’t tell you when we’re going to have all the information, like why this happened or anything else.”

The Maine State Police commercial vehicle enforcement unit, which examined the remnants of the truck, has submitted a report but the accident reconstruction team is still working.

Investigators for the track’s operator and for Amtrak are analyzing their equipment. Peasley said there was no apparent malfunction with the railroad crossing gates, which signal the approach of a train.

The northbound Amtrak Downeaster, with 112 passengers and four railroad employees, collided with the trash-hauling tractor-trailer at 11:05 a.m. Monday on Route 4. Witnesses saw the truck skidding toward the crossing just before the crash.

The force of the collision killed Peter Barnum, 35, of Farmington, N.H., who died of multiple injuries, according to an autopsy by the state medical examiner.

On Wednesday, New Hampshire officials made available Barnum’s driving record, which a state official described as mixed but “not disastrous.”

Barnum, who drove commercial vehicles for 10 years, hadn’t had an infraction since June 2009. Before that, he had two convictions for unsafe operation of a commercial vehicle, six speeding tickets, one seat belt violation and a minor accident, said Jim Van Dongen, spokesman for the New Hampshire Department of Public Safety.

The violations date to when he was a teenager. Most occurred in Massachusetts and drew fines ranging from $57 to $200.

In Maine, Barnum was cited for driving 63 mph in a 45 mph zone in 2003.

The truck that Barnum drove Monday was a 2009 Kenworth, which had passed a state inspection in Maine in December. Peasley said the fact that the relatively new truck had passed a recent inspection suggests the crash was not the result of a mechanical defect.

The truck’s event data recorder would shed light on what happened in the seconds before the crash, but it’s not clear whether that was recovered. The cab of the truck broke into pieces and burned after the crash.

“I don’t know exactly what they’re going to be able to find on it, if anything,” Peasley said.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.