A Waterville woman drove across lawns, ditches and curbs Friday night in a chase with police that began in Newport and ended with her arrest in Bangor, police said Saturday.

The woman, Courtney Quinn, 35, finally was stopped after her Toyota Camry reportedly sideswiped a cruiser and police attempted to block her path off Hammond Street in Bangor, according to a release from Lt. Wesley Hussey, commanding officer of State Police Troop E in Orono

“As the vehicle approached the intersection of Hammond Street, (state police) Sgt. Sean Hashey had driven beside the vehicle in an attempt to block it,” Hussey said. “The vehicle intentionally sideswiped the cruiser in an attempt to get away. The vehicle’s path was then blocked again. The operator continued to accelerate but was not able to move as it was blocked by cruisers and a civilian vehicle. Officers were able to take the operator into custody.”

Quinn faces several felony charges as a result of the chase. Hussey said she was uncooperative and showed signs of impairment during the arrest and booking process.

Trooper Scott Dalton was on a motor vehicle stop on Interstate 95 near Newport at about 5:30 p.m. when Quinn passed him and allegedly nearly struck a second officer and his cruiser, Hussey said.

Dalton said he attempted to stop her car but she continued northbound at speeds of between 80 and 97 mph.


As the car approached Coldbrook Road, it passed a roadblock that was set up by Hampden police.

The car continued north and exited onto Hammond Street in Bangor. The car entered the parking lot of General Aviation, and then crossed into several other lots, driving at low speeds but recklessly, Hussey said.

Several troopers, Bangor police and Penobscot County sheriff deputies attempted to stop the car by blocking the exits.

Two troopers tried to disable the car after it entered the Ramada Inn parking lot. The car’s front tire was destroyed and it drove through a ditch back onto the Odlin Road.

Quinn was charged with reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon, aggravated criminal mischief, eluding a police officer and passing a police roadblock, all Class C felonies punishable by up to five years in prison on each count.

She also is charged with operating after her license was suspended, a misdemeanor. Quinn was taken to the Penobscot County Jail and bail was set at $25,000. Additional charges may be lodged after the case is reviewed by the district attorney’s office .

Quinn’s motor vehicle history includes two previous convictions for operating under the influence as well as a conviction in June for failing to stop for a police officer.

Doug Harlow — 612-2367

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.