BANGOR — Playing for the last playoff spot in the Pine Tree Conference’s Class A division, the Skowhegan football team couldn’t make its score match up with its statistics.

The Indians had 16 first downs. They piled up 337 yards of offense, including 281 on the ground by Adam Dusty on 37 carries. But Skowhegan couldn’t turn those numbers into enough points.

As a result, Bangor gets the final playoff spot after Friday night’s 29-8 victory over the Indians at Cameron Stadium.

“A lot of big plays in the game,” said Skowhegan coach Mike Marston, whose team finishes at 5-4. “We made some, and, unfortunately, they made more than we did.”

At two key points in the game, Skowhegan appeared headed for a score but came away with nothing.

Trailing 22-8 late in the first half, the Indians gained 65 yards in less than 90 seconds, and had a 3rd-and-1 at the Bangor 9-yard line. With 42 seconds left, Bangor’s Wyatt Frost intercepted a pass at the Skowhegan 5, and the Rams held on to their two-touchdown lead at the half.

In the third quarter, the Indians forced Bangor (7-2) to punt and were even closer to getting within a touchdown. Starting from their own 20, the Indians drove to the Bangor 36. From there, Dusty bounced outside and down the left sideline, finally being knocked out of bounds at the 2 by Bangor’s Nick Sherwood after a 34-yard gain.

Three running plays lost a total of three yards, and Skowhegan had a fourth-and-goal at the five. Dusty took the pitch, rolled right and threw to Ben Clark, but Clark was tackled at the 3.

Dusty ran for 115 yards in the first quarter, scoring on a 31-yard scamper and a two-point conversion to give Skowhegan an 8-0 lead. Bangor’s Xavier Lewis returned the kickoff 52 yards, and the Rams tied it on a 23-yard run by Zeb Tuell and Cody Chapman’s two-point conversion.

Tuell, who didn’t play in Bangor’s loss to Messalonskee last week because of injuries, rushed for 180 yards on 25 attempts. He led the Rams to another touchdown in the second quarter, as Chapman bulled over on fourth-and-goal from the 2 to make it 15-8.

After a Skowhegan fumble, Bangor went up 22-8 when Ellis Throckmorton made a nice catch in traffic of a pass from Carl Farnham for a 21-yard scoring play.

Bangor’s other touchdown came in the fourth quarter, when Chapman ran it in from a yard out 10 plays after Skowhegan failed on a fake punt.

“I’m sad that our seniors are all done, but I really felt they led us well,” Marston said. “We didn’t have a lot of kids, but we had a really great group of kids.”

“I think we proved that, no matter who we put on the field, as long as we have enough heart, we can win as many games as we want,” Dusty said.

Matt DiFilippo — 861-9243

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.