AUGUSTA — Firefighters were called to a Winthrop Court home Sunday after an errant cigarette sparked  a fire in a trash can.

Battalion Chief Ed Charles of the Augusta Fire Department said firefighters quickly extinguished the remnants of the fire when they arrived at the multi-family, two-story building at 16 Winthrop Court.

The fire, which was reported around 6 p.m., caused minor damage to the floor in the bathroom, Charles said.

The fire was sparked by smoking material dropped into the garbage can, Charles said.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.