Authorities are urging an escaped convict who scaled a fence topped with razor wire and may now be armed with a gun and on the run in York County to surrender to police before he or someone else gets hurt.

Dozens of heavily armed Maine state troopers along with deputy U.S. Marshals and members of a violent fugitive task force resumed their search late Monday for David G. Hobson, 33, of Alfred.

Police had earlier in the day searched a pair of adjacent homes and several outbuildings at 148-154 New Dam Road, uncovering evidence that Hobson was there just hours before. In the woods behind a house belonging to Hobson’s aunt, police found discarded clothing, gauze and other first aid supplies, and a store receipt showing where Hobson had bought a change of clothes and the medical supplies.

Hbson had been wearing grey sweats and had cut himself badly on the jail fence razor wire.

“We had some reliable information of where we believe he was, but unfortunately that information was almost six hours old,” Lt. Louis Nyitray, commander of the State Police Troop A barracks covering York County, said Monday afternoon at a news conference .

The U.S. Marshal’s Service in Maine joined the search at the request of the U.S. Marshal for New Hampshire, because Hobson is believed to be an interstate fugitive from that state, where he escaped from the Carroll County Jail in Ossipee on Thursday afternoon. He later stole a car in Wakefield, N.H., that he abandoned on a little-used dirt logging road near his relatives home in the area of New Dam Road in Sanford.

Police say Hobson has made threats against someone in York County with whom he has had a relationship with, though they would not identify the person.

“We will be using any available resource at our disposal, whether it be aircraft or technology, to pinpoint his location,” Maine U.S. Marshal Noel March said at the news conference. March is familiar with the search area because early in his law enforcement career he served as chief deputy for the York County Sheriff’s Office.

The search has involved the sheriff’s office, Sanford police and helicopters from Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Throughout the day Monday, a fixed-wing police aircraft circled the densely wooded area of the Massabesic Experimental Forest which covers southeastern portions of Alfred and Lyman near the Sanford town line.

The search team included members of the state police tactical team and members of the agency’s hostage negotiating team.

There have been no confirmed sightings of Hobson, and police do not know how seriously he is injured. Though he has not hurt anybody yet, police said he is desperate and possibly armed.

“Escaping from jail is a pretty desperate act,” March said. “That in and of itself demonstrates his level of motivation to be free and stay free at great risk to himself and others who may help him and may be at risk because of him.”

Police say they received information that Hobson may have a gun but they don’t know where he would have gotten it. They do not believe it was part of the supplies Hobson’s father is accused of leaving for him near his home in Alfred, a package which included food, water, medical supplies, blankets, and clothing.

Jamie Moores, who lives next door to the houses that were searched on New Dam Road, said she grew anxious when she learned Hobson might be hiding out in the neighborhood.

“My No. 1 worry was he was going to try to get in a house and take us,” said Moores, who has three small children. She was frightened by the sound of people tramping through the woods behind her house Monday morning, only to discover they were troopers searching for Hobson or evidence of him.

“I know we’re OK, but it’s still nerve-racking. It’s the worst feeling as a mom, having small chldren and going through this,” she said.

Nyitray and March said residents shouldn’t be overly anxious, but should be vigilant.

“This guy is not on a shooting rampage or a home-invasion rampage,” March said. “No one’s been hurt. No one’s been injured.”

However, people should be cautious, they said.

“Keep your eyes and ears open,” Nyitray said. “Lock your doors. Lock your vehicles up. Keep the keys out of them.”

Police are aware of contacts Hobson has made in the area and despipte the heavy police presence, they believe he will stay.

“We believe he is not only in Maine, but in this area,” Nyitray said. “When he escaped from New Hampshire, he proceeded to come back here where he grew up almost immediately. … He has absolutely no reason to go anywhere else.”

Hobson was considered low-risk when a warrant was issued for his arrest in March on charges he violated probation by submitting an altered urine sample to his probation officer, then failed to show up for an appointment and failed to give an accurate address. But police say his escape from jail, his desperation to stay free and threats he has made against someone in York County make him a high-risk fugitive.

Police hope worsening weather and the stress of days on the run might convince Hobson to give himself up.

Police are also hoping that because Hobson is known in the area, members of the public who see him will report it to state police at 657-3030.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.