CONCORD, N.H. — A burglary suspect who escaped from a New Hampshire jail five days earlier and vowed revenge on two people in Maine was caught Tuesday, police said.

David Glenn Hobson was captured Tuesday evening by U.S. marshals near a grocery store in Rochester, where he’d been picked up in a vehicle by a friend, Maine State Police spokesman Steve McCausland said. He did not have a gun, like authorities had suspected, and was arrested without incident, McCausland said.
“He was quickly taken into custody,” McCausland said.

Hobson, 33, was in custody Tuesday evening and couldn’t be reached for comment.

Hobson escaped from an Ossipee jail on Dec. 1 by scaling a razor-wire fence in the recreation yard, authorities said. Police believed he had a gun and appeared to hold a grudge against two people with whom he once had a personal relationship.

U.S. Marshal Noel March said the two were aware of the threats and were “in a safe place.”

Hobson, whose criminal record includes a series of burglary convictions, wasn’t going after past victims, March said before the capture.

March vowed earlier Tuesday that Hobson would be caught but that law enforcement officials would prefer he turn himself in so no one gets hurt.

“David Glenn Hobson is not Houdini and he’s not Whitey Bulger,” March said before the capture, referring to the famous escape artist and the notorious Boston mob boss who was on the lam for more than 16 years. “It’s important to point out this is not the manhunt of the century.”

March implored Hobson to turn himself in to end the stress on his family “and the anxiety he is causing the community at large.”

Hobson’s father was arrested Friday and was charged with hindering apprehension after being accused of leaving supplies for Hobson outside his Alfred, Maine, home.

Police said the package included food, water, medical supplies, blankets and clothing. Behind the house, police also found discarded clothing and a receipt showing where Hobson bought a change of clothes and supplies.

Hobson stole a car in Wakefield, N.H., after escaping from jail, police said. The vehicle was found abandoned on a logging road in Alfred, and blood inside added to investigators’ suspicion that Hobson was seriously injured.

“You can clearly consider him desperate by virtue of his own actions — a very concerted effort he undertook to escape from the Carroll County House of Corrections, injuring himself in the process — coupled with his own statements he has intentions to harm others,” March said.

Law enforcement officials wouldn’t say how they learned of Hobson’s threats except to say their concerns were based on statements he had made.

Hobson’s police record dates back to a criminal mischief conviction in 1996. He was sentenced to two days in jail.
Hobson’s brother-in-law, Richard Lane, said Tuesday that no one in the family wanted to speak to reporters.

While Hobson was loose, aircraft buzzed over the greater Sanford area, and dozens of heavily armed state troopers, deputy U.S. marshals and members of a violent-fugitive task force searched on the ground.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.