KENTS HILL — The Cony hockey team hadn’t played in a week, and the rust showed a bit Monday afternoon against the Maranacook/Hall-Dale/Winthrop co-operative team.

MHW had momentum and some confidence after snapping a two-game losing slide, and that showed, too, Monday.

Jared Hanson scored a pair of second-period goals and MHW hung on late to beat Cony 4-2 in an Eastern A game at Bonnefond Ice Arena.

“It was a huge win,” MHW coach Andy Dube said. “It’s always a big win against a rival. It wasn’t a pretty game, but we’ll take it. We had a little more forecheck and our defensemen got out of the zone quicker. We stepped it up.”

Matt Plourde and Chris Stanley also scored for the Hawks (2-2-0), who’ve won two straight after opening the season 0-2-0.

Dan Condon had three assists and Tyler Plante earned the win with 20 saves.

“It was a big win for us because we knew Cony would be tough,” said Hanson, who attends Winthrop High School. “We knew Cony would bring it.”

Dallas Clark and Dakota Bowie scored for the Rams (1-1-0), who struggled to get into any rhythm offensively.

“We didn’t give ourselves enough chances and we didn’t work hard enough,” Cony coach Chad Foye said. “We just weren’t consistent. We didn’t have a consistent effort to beat them.”

The teams were tied 1-1 after the first period before Hanson and the Hawks put the game away with a pair of goals about four minutes apart in the second. Hanson scored his first goal of the game just 3 minutes, 40 seconds into the second period on a nice pass from Condon. Condon carried the puck behind the Cony net and hit a wide-open Hanson in the slot.

“I wasn’t covered,” Hanson said, “I got a great pass from (Condon) right in front of the net and I just put it in.”

Hanson buried a breakaway chance about four minutes later after taking another nice pass from Condon in the neutral zone.

“I just looked at the net and saw what was open,” Hanson said, “and picked a corner.”

The Rams didn’t go quietly, however.

Dakota Bowie redirected a shot from Spencer Buck past Plante just a minute into the third to pull Cony within 3-2.

Clark almost scored the equalizer a few minutes later, again on a tip, but the puck sailed just wide of the far post.

“I thought we had something going there,” Foye said, “but then we stopped skating.”

Stanley capped the scoring with an insurance goal with 2:27 left in the third.

Senior goalie Matt Swan had 29 saves and Buck had two assists for Cony.

Bill Stewart — 621-5640

[email protected]

Facebook comments

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.