FREEMAN TOWNSHIP — A grease fire on a stove appears to have caused a blaze that destroyed a mobile home Friday afternoon, according to a fire department official.

Strong Fire Chief Duayne Boyd said a woman was cooking french fries in a pot on the stove when the grease boiled over, igniting the nearby walls and other items in the kitchen.

The woman, whose name Boyd did not know, fled to safety as the fast-spreading fire engulfed the mobile home at 779 Foster Hill Road.

Firefighters arrived at the scene and the flames were already shooting out of the mobile home, which is attached to a wooden addition. They used water from fire hoses to douse the wooden part of the residence to keep the fire from spreading, Boyd said.

The home is owned by Durwood Brackley, who arrived at the scene shortly after the fire started, Boyd said. The mobile home section of the residence was gutted by flames. The wooden addition portion sustained minor heat and smoke damage and is likely salvageable, Boyd said. He did not know whether Brackley had insurance.

About 45 firefighters responded to the emergency call, reporting the fire shortly before 1 p.m., Boyd said.

Emergency responders from seven area fire departments responded to a mutual aid call for the fire. No injuries were reported.

David Robinson — 861-9287

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.