PORTLAND — Well, the change of the calendar year didn’t do much to change the fortunes of the Maine Red Claws.

After a competitive first quarter, the Red Claws were over-matched, allowing the Rio Grande Valley Vipers to race to a stunningly-easy 104-81 victory Sunday before a New Year’s Day crowd of 2,911 at the Portland Expo.

The loss was Maine’s fourth in a row, dropping the Red Claws to 4-10, in last place in the East Conference of the NBA Development League. Rio Grande Valley, winning its third in a row, improved to 10-6.

“We’ve got a lot of work to do,” said Dave Leitao, coach of the Red Claws. “We’ve got a lot of physical catching up to do. We’ve got a bigger job psychologically, where guys are at in their place on this team, where they’re at in this league, where they’re at in their basketball life. And we’ve got to do it in a short period of time.”

The Red Claws’ 10-man lineup included five players who weren’t here the last time the team played at home. Three players — Ricky Davis, Xavier Silas and Jerome Randle — have been here for for three games or less.

While Leitao said he won’t use the roster shuffle as an excuse — “It’s a decision we made to bring in more talent,” he said — Nick Nurse, the coach of Rio Grande Valley, said he could see the indecision in Maine’s players.


“That’s a pretty good roster they have,” he said. “I was really nervous coming in here last night. They need some time to get their new guys in sync.”

The Vipers didn’t let that happen in either of the two games.

Even though the Red Claws had the early lead in this one, the Vipers were ready to strike. And when they did, it was in stunning fashion.

The Red Claws had come back to tie the game at 28 with 7:39 left in the second quarter on a jumper by Paul Harris. The Vipers responded with two quick baskets, then Maine’s Anthony Kent drove left for a short jumper than made it 32-30 with 6:35 left.

The Red Claws didn’t score again in the period.

The Vipers shifted into high gear, running with every defensive rebound. The Red Claws defenders trailed badly and the Vipers got layup after layup after layup..


“We try to run at every opportunity,” said Nurse. “We got some steals and some blocks and some rebounds and the opportunities to run were there.”

Throw in a couple of 3-pointers, the last one by Kelvin Lewis with 23.8 seconds remaining, and it translated into a 52-30 halftime lead.

“We didn’t play any defense,” said forward Paul Harris. “Including myself.”

The Red Claws had more turnovers (10) than points (eight) in the quarter. In fact, it was a franchise low for points in a quarter. The 30 points tied the low for points at the half.

Lewis opened the third quarter with another 3, making it 55-30, before Harris scored on a back-door cut, ending a scoreless skid that lasted 9:08. But there was no catching, or even coming close, to the Vipers.

The lead would eventually reach 32 in the third quarter as the Vipers seemingly did whatever they wanted offensively. Simply put, the Red Claws were over-matched.

Now it’s time to regroup starting, said Leitao, with Monday’s practice – a day that was originally scheduled for the players to be off. Roles will be defined. Fundamentals will be stressed.

“We’ve just got to get better in practice,” said Kenny Hayes. “This will be the first time we practice with this group of guys. We’ve got to learn each other’s game and learn how to play well with each other.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.