CHELSEA — Fire damaged a Norway Road apartment Saturday morning, displacing the tenant.

No one was at home at the time of the fire, reported at 8:47 a.m. Saturday, according to Fire Chief Shawn Ramage.

The fire occurred in a building owned by Asbel Rivera. The building has a garage on the lower level and an upstairs apartment.

The building sustained moderate damage, with heavy smoke and heat damage to the second-floor apartment. Ramage said the building appeared able to be salvaged.

Ramage said the tenant, whom he declined to identify and had not been able to reach Saturday morning, will not be able to stay in the apartment, because of the damage.

Initial reports suggested the tenant was in the building when the fire started, but firefighters later learned no one in the structure.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office sent an investigator to the site Saturday, at Rivera’s request, to try to determine the fire’s cause. Ramage said it did not appear suspicious.

The building is insured, he said.

Firefighters from Chelsea were assisted at the scene by firefighters and an ambulance crew from Augusta.

Firefighters were at the home until about 11:30 a.m. Saturday.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.