WEST GARDINER — No one was injured Thursday when a fire started inside a chimney at a house on Our Drive, just off High Street.

West Gardiner Fire Chief Chris McLaughlin credited a passerby for reporting flames coming our of one of the chimneys of the house at 9:31 a.m.

“When we showed up, there was smoke coming through the cracks of chimney,” McLaughlin said. Firefighters forced their way into the home because no one was there, McLaughlin said.

West Gardiner firefighters asked a crew from the Gardiner Fire Department to help out with a ladder truck because of the pitch of the roof and height of chimney.

McLaughlin told the building owner and the resident after the fire was extinguished to get the chimney cleaned and inspected before it was used again.

“Had the passerby not called, it wouldn’t not have taken too long for the fire to extend from the chimney into the house and we would have had much bigger of a problem,” he said.

–Betty Adams


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.