AUGUSTA — A federal judge is scheduled to hear oral arguments in March in the lawsuit over Gov. Paul LePage’s decision to remove a mural depicting labor scenes from a Maine state office.

The arguments are scheduled for 1 p.m. on March 1 at the Bangor Federal Courthouse.

The state has asked Justice John Woodcock Jr. to dismiss the lawsuit requiring LePage to return the mural to the Department of Labor headquarters.

Artists and others have protested the mural’s removal last year.

LePage has offered several reasons for removing the mural. In the fall, he said it had nothing to do with the painting’s pro-labor content, as he’s said before. He said the $60,000 that the state spent on it came from a fund dedicated to providing benefits to unemployed workers.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.