GARDINER — A Costello Road couple has been forced from their home after a fire Wednesday left their bedroom badly damaged.

Kevin and Tracey Sansouci said they plan to move in with a friend until they find a new place to live.

“Everything in the bedroom is a total loss,” Kevin Sansouci said.

The mobile home at 131 Costello Road, which Tracey Sansouci said is owned by Walter Maschino, is insured; however, the Sansoucis did not have renters’ insurance. They have lived in the home for about four years.

The fire broke out shortly before 2 p.m. while Kevin Sansouci was visiting a friend. Tracey Sansouci said she was in the kitchen.

“I saw smoke,” Sansouci said. She called her husband to tell him something was wrong.

Sansouci said someone in Maschino’s house, which is just several yards from the mobile home, called the fire department.

Gardiner Fire Chief Michael Minkowsky said firefighters were able to keep the blaze from spreading throughout the home. He estimated crews used 150 gallons of water.

The fire originated in the back bedroom, but there was no immediate confirmation of what sparked the blaze.

Minkowsky said there were no plans to call for an investigator from the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

“We have a couple things we’re looking at,” Minkowsky said.

Firefighters from Richmond assisted Gardiner at the scene, Minkowsky said. Togus firefighters were called to assist, but they were diverted while en route to answer an alarm on Enterprise Drive.

Minkowsky said he notified the Red Cross to offer the Sansoucis assistance.

He believes the home can be repaired.

“They saved the structure, but there’s a lot of damage to the back bedroom,” Minkowsky said.

Craig Crosby–621-5642

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.