SKOWHEGAN — A Skowhegan man was flown to a Bangor hospital with multiple stab wounds Wednesday morning and another man was in custody after a fight at an apartment complex.

The victim, Jason Tibbetts, 34, was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor in serious condition, according to Skowhegan Police Chief Michael Emmons.

Michael King, who lives in the same row of housing units at Indian Ridge Apartments, said he saw people fighting outside and yelled at them to stop. Then he said he saw Tibbetts, who was not moving, and went to help him.

King, who is being honored by the American Red Cross later this month for saving another man’s life last summer, said Tibbetts “was just laying in the snow bank; I put on my clothes and grabbed a flashlight and told my girlfriend to call the cops.”

King said that while his girlfriend, Heather Medlin, called police, he tried to keep Tibbetts alert and stayed with him until help arrived.

“There was a lot of blood over there. There was blood all over the sidewalk. Nobody was out there. The poor kid was sitting out there for at least 10 minutes,” King said.

King and his roommate Jimmy Avery are credited with pulling gas station owner Bob Everett from a stream behind his station in Norridgewock in June after Everett crashed his riding lawn mower down a steep embankment.

In custody after Wednesday’s stabbing is Nathaniel Todd Knight, 31, of Skowhegan. He is charged with elevated aggravated assault, a class A felony, and with trafficking in prison contraband for allegedly having narcotics on him when he was booked at Somerset County Jail.

He is being held on $100,000 cash bail.

Emmons said the initial report said there were three men and a woman fighting outside the apartment complex.

“All of them had gone back inside except for one male who was bleeding; lying in the snow, bleeding,” Emmons said. “The doctor at the hospital said they were very serious injuries, however he thought he would survive.”

The call came in to police just before 3 a.m. Several police officers and Skowhegan’s two detectives went to the scene, as did Skowhegan Fire Department and emergency medical crews from Redington-Fairview General Hospital.

Tibbetts first as taken to Redington-Fairview General Hospital in Skowhegan and later taken by LifeFlight helicopter to Bangor. A spokesperson at the Bangor hospital did not return a call seeking information about Tibbetts Wednesday afternoon.

Doug Harlow — 612-2367

[email protected]


Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.