AUGUSTA — A former Occupy Augusta demonstrator, jailed for the last four months, will spend another three months behind bars for threatening a man with a knife.

Anthony J. Williams, 27, of Augusta, pleaded guilty Monday in Kennebec County Superior Court to criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon.

He was sentenced to three years in jail, with all but the initial seven months suspended, and two years of probation.

That means Williams will be eligible for release in about three months. His attorney, Scott Gurney, said Williams has already served four of the seven months in jail.

The offense occurred Oct. 23 in Augusta. The victim, Jabon W. Chubbuck, was not in court for the hearing, although the prosecutor, Assistant District Attorney James Mitchell Jr., said he had talked with him about the sentence.

Chubbuck had told police he was walking to his car at the Cumberland Farms convenience store on Mount Vernon Avenue when a man — later identified as Williams — approached him seeking a ride to Capitol Park.

Occupy Augusta, drawing on inspiration from the national Occupy movement, had recently set up an encampment at the park, about a mile and a half away.

When Chubbuck asked if the man was connected to the Occupy Augusta protest, the man pulled a knife from under his sweatshirt, threw it at a display of firewood and then pointed it at Chubbuck’s stomach, according to an police affidavit filed with the court.

After Chubbuck reported the incident, police found Williams walking near Laurel Street, a short distance up State Street from the Cumberland Farms. Williams had two knives on him, police said.

Paul McCarrier, an Occupy Augusta spokesman, later confirmed that Williams had been involved with the ongoing protest, which disbanded from the park about two months later.

Betty Adams — 621-5631

[email protected]

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.