Police have identified the driver of the blue 2008 Suzuki SX4 that slammed into five cars waiting for the lights to change at Post Office Square on Sunday.

Nancy Hazard, 42, was driving southbound on College Avenue at a high rate of speed just before the collision, Deputy Chief Charles Rumsey said. She was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor where she was listed in critical condition Sunday night.

A hospital spokesperson on Monday morning said she had no information on Hazard.

Rumsey said six people, including Hazard, suffered “varying degrees of serious injuries.” One person, whom police wouldn’t identify, suffered a serious back injury when his Toyota Tacoma pickup truck was struck by Hazard’s crossover SUV.

“It’s just absolutely amazing that no one was killed,” he said.


Rumsey added that police are still investigating the incident. A crash reconstructionist from the Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office is involved in the case. A full report won’t be available until the end of this week or next week, but police expect to provide some updates Monday afternoon.


WATERVILLE — Six people were injured Sunday in a six-car accident on College Avenue directly in front of the fire station, police said.

About 4:45 p.m., a driver moving at a high rate of speed slammed into five vehicles that were waiting for the light to turn green at the intersection of College Avenue and Main Street, according to witnesses.

Sgt. Daniel Ames of the Waterville Police Department said the driver was in critical condition and taken to a hospital in Bangor. Her name was not available at press time.

Deanne Gage and passenger Bob Woodsome, of Fairfield, had just driven through the intersection and were traveling north on College Avenue when they saw a blue Suzuki SUV driven by an unknown person blow past them heading south toward the intersection at what they estimated to be 70 to 80 mph.


“It was going very, very fast,” Woodsome said. “It was a blur.”

Troy Ladd also was driving north when the Suzuki passed him. He said the driver, whom he described as a middle-aged woman, seemed purposeful in her actions.

“She had a determined look in her eyes and a firm grip on the steering wheel,” Ladd said. “You could hear the engine roar as she passed. She was still gaining speed and there were no brake lights.”

Yvonne Dutil said she was waiting to cross the street from Ken-A-Set to go to Rite-Aid when she saw the Suzuki approaching. She knew an accident was imminent.

“My heart was in my throat,” she said.

Eriq Stewart was one of the drivers waiting at the intersection. He said the Suzuki struck his truck and the vehicle next to him, which was totaled. The Suzuki went airborne, flipped and spun across about 40 feet before slamming into the rear bumpers of two cars waiting at the light. One of those cars was pushed forward and struck a sixth vehicle, pushing it into the intersection.


Mike Kalageros said he was walking on Union Street when he heard the sounds of shattering glass and screams. Next he saw a cloud of smoke.

The Fire Department responded within seconds, he said.

Ben McCanna — 861-9239

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.