GARDINER — There will be no overtime magic for the Gardiner boys lacrosse team this time around.

A year after winning an overtime thriller against Yarmouth, the Tigers lost 10-0 in the Eastern B semifinals at Hoch Field on Saturday morning.

The 7-6 loss in the semifinals was a memory the Clippers held onto heading into Saturday’s game.

“Last year they beat us on our home field,” Yarmouth attacker Bart Gallagher said. “We’ve been looking to play them all year, and we weren’t sure we’d get a chance because of the playoffs. It was a good opportunity to play a strong team like Gardiner.”

No. 3 Yarmouth improves to 9-5 and advances to play North Yarmouth Academy in the regional final Wednesday. The Tigers end the season 12-2.

“We’re not really battle-ready all the time,” Gardiner coach K.C. Johnson said. “The conference we play in, with no crossover (games), really hurts. I’ll be the first one to say it. I’m not going to play nice, our schedule really hurts us.”

Both teams were physical from the start, but the Clippers gained too many offensive opportunities, which led to scores. Yarmouth was led by Max Watson, who had three goals and an assist. Anders Overhaug added two goals, while Gallagher had a goal and two assists.

“There were some bright spots, we definitely still need to work on some things,” Yarmouth coach David Pearl said. “I think the guys are starting to see the field, passing the ball around with more confidence.”

Overhaug gave Yarmouth a 1-0 lead with 4 minutes left in the first. The Clippers added four more goals in the second quarter, thanks in large part to Gallagher, who patrolled behind the Tigers net and set up shots for his teammates. He also added his own goal early in the period, coming from behind the net and sneaking a shot past Gardiner goalie Cody Hickey for a 4-0 lead.

“I just put it in the general area,” Gallagher said. “Guys like Ian (Edgecomb) and Watson did such a great job of catching the ball and putting it in the net.”

Overhaug, Watson and Brady Neujahr added to the offensive effort with a goal each to give Yarmouth a 5-0 lead at halftime.

“Us not scoring early, that hurt us,” Johnson said. “(Yarmouth) gained momentum every time they shut us down.”

The Clippers continued to take advantage in the second half, adding five more goals, including two by Watson. In total, Yarmouth took a total of 39 shots on net, two of which hit off the post. Hickey made 13 saves.

“Cody played exceptionally well,” Johnson said. “He made some big saves when we needed him to. He has, to the day, a full year of varsity experience. That’s awesome.”

Yarmouth had a 42-22 advantage on ground balls in the game.

Dave Dyer — 621-5639

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.