LEBANON — A toddler who was burned when she fell into a fire pit Sunday morning has been moved out of the intensive care unit and is doing well, according to Lebanon Rescue Department officials.

The 2-year-old girl from Milton, N.H., was airlifted to a Boston hospital with serious burns after she fell into a fire pit at Flat Rick Bridge Family Resort in Lebanon, Maine.

The girl landed on hot coals that had been smoldering all night. The Maine Fire Marshal’s Office said she suffered second- and third-degree burns to about 12 to 14 percent of her body in the accident, according to The Associated Press.

Assistant Chief Jason Cole of the Lebanon Rescue Department said the incident was a “tragic accident” that occurred while the mother was nearby.

Cole said the girl’s father said she was transferred out of intensive care Monday.

“She has many specialists working with her and her family to see what treatments will be necessary,” Cole said. “Her recovery is expected to take a long time, but she is doing well.”

Cole said the family is very appreciative of all rescue efforts and community support.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.