WINSLOW— A man is facing charges in connection with four fire bombs set around the Fourth of July holiday.

Donald Stone, 19, of Winslow, was issued summonses charging him with four counts of reckless conduct with making and using four homemade incendiary devices, Sgt. Ken Grimes of the State Fire Marshal’s Office said in a release.

“The devices were experimental and intended to make fire balls,” Grimes said. “No structures or property were targeted.” 

All of the firebombings occurred around 4 a.m. The first was set off July 3 at the corner of Pinehurst Avenue and Woodlawn Drive; two more exploded July 4 on Garland Street; and the final occurred in the parking lot of Winslow Junior High School off Danielson Street.

The device in the July 5 bombing was made from an aerosol can and a carbon-dioxide canister. Grimes said all of the devices, which were similar in construction, were stationary rather than projectiles.

Grimes has said investigators the investigation led to three people, a mix of juvenile and adult males, connected to the bombings, but he said Thursday that Stone is the only one expected to face charges.

Grimes said earlier this month that that the suspects were apologetic.

“Stone has been cooperating with investigators,” Grimes said Thursday.

Stone is expected to make his first court appearance on Oct. 2.

Reckless conduct is a Class D crime punishable by up to one year in jail, a $2,000 fine, or both.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.