WINSLOW — A 19-year-old man was summoned Thursday in connection with four firebombings earlier this month.

Donald Stone, of Winslow, was charged with four counts of reckless conduct for allegedly constructing and igniting four homemade “incendiary devices,” according to a news release from Sgt. Ken Grimes with the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

“The devices were experimental and intended to make fire balls. No structures or property were targeted,” the release states.

Grimes said Stone is cooperative.

No one else is expected to face charges in connection with the incident.

For three consecutive mornings beginning July 3, police discovered homemade firebombs that had ignited during the early morning hours.

On July 3, a device was reported burning at the corner of Pinehurst Avenue and Woodlawn Drive.

On July 4, a device was lit on the corner of North Garand and East Bowden streets.

On July 5, two devices were set off on Cushman Street and in the parking lot of Winslow Junior High School, off Danielson Street.

Then, on July 6, Grimes announced that three suspects had been questioned in the case, some of whom were juveniles.

Grimes said it is unclear whether the bombings would have continued if the suspects hadn’t been identified.

Previous reports stated there had been three bombs.

Each firebomb was similar in construction, Grimes said.

The device at the junior high school was made from an aerosol can and a carbon-dioxide canister.

Stone is charged with four class D misdemeanors, each punishable by up to one year in jail and $2,000 in fines. He is scheduled to appear in Waterville District Court on Oct. 2.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.