WATERVILLE — Police and fire officials are investigating an arson Friday night in which a lawnmower was set on fire and destroyed off Silver Street.

A 14-year-old boy who told officials he was involved in the arson suffered burns to his left forearm and was taken to the hospital, according to both police Deputy Chief Charles Rumsey and fire Lt. Shawn Esler.

No charges had been filed by police as of Monday afternoon.

Detective Chris Paradis and an investigator from the state Fire Marshal’s Office are working with the Waterville Fire Department on the case, Rumsey said. They are talking with people, including the teen, to determine exactly what happened.

“It is an arson because the lawnmower that was set on fire was removed from the back of a house there and pushed into the woods to set on fire,” he said.

Esler said fire officials went to 94 Silver St. at 8:49 p.m. Friday for a report of a fire in the woods and found a small fire between Summer and Silver streets.

“We accessed it from 94 Silver St. and it turned out to be a small lawnmower that was on fire — a power-mower type,” Esler said.

He said fire officials determined it likely that someone set the fire, so they contacted the state Fire Marshal’s Office and Police Department.

After Paradis arrived, the 14-year-old boy showed up and told them he was involved, according to Esler. The boy was treated by rescue workers and taken by Delta Ambulance to Thayer Campus, MaineGeneral Medical Center, he said.

The boy’s burns were non-life threatening, he said.

“The fire department’s role at this time is to secure the scene and wait for law enforcement officials to conduct a thorough investigation,” he said.

Investigator Ken MacMaster of the Fire Marshal’s Office is working with police on the case, according to Esler. A call placed to that office late Monday afternoon for comment was not immediately returned.

Rumsey said police are not sure if others were involved in the arson.

“We have a version of events as told to us by this 14-year-old and we’re working to confirm details,” he said.

He said the boy does not live at 94 Silver St.

The fire did not damage any homes in the area, Esler said. He said the nearest house is about 60 feet from where the lawnmower was set on fire.

The man who owns the building at 94 Silver St. didn’t want to be identified Monday afternoon, but said he arrived there late Friday to find police and fire officials at the scene. He does not live in the building, he said.

A wooded area behind the building was circled with yellow tape late Monday afternoon and the burned lawnmower was resting on the ground in the center of the cordoned-off area.

Facebook comments

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.