AUGUSTA — The outcome looked bleak for the Cony girls soccer team after it failed to register a shot on goal in the first half of Tuesday’s game against Mt. Blue.

But the Rams rallied in the second half, getting two goals from Emily Quirion, to post a 2-1 win that put them back into the Eastern Maine Class A tournament picture. Cony is 5-6-0 and in the 10th and final tournament spot while Mt. Blue is seventh at 4-4-1.

“At the half we talked about how (Monday) night went with Lewiston (a 1-0 loss),” Cony coach Jeff Hersey said. “I thought we outplayed them. We told them all it takes is one.”

The Rams got the goal they needed 13 minutes into the second half when Quirion, a Mt. Blue defender and Mt. Blue goalkeeper Gabby Foye all converged on a ball near the top of the penalty circle.

“I was thinking the goalie was going to miss it,” Quirion said. “So I just ran as fast as I could at her hoping she would miss the ball and I ended up lucky.”

Quirion kicked the ball into an open goal for Cony’s second shot of the game, and it appeared to rejuvenate the Rams. Five minutes later she was awarded a penalty kick after being taken down in the circle. She picked the lower right corner of the net to make it 2-0.

“I always go to the right corner,” she said.

The Cougars had their chances, putting five shots on goal in the first half and two in the second. Senior Zyrah Giustra missed a great chance when her shot from 15 yards whistled just over the top of the goal after freshman keeper Autumn Sudsbury was drawn out of her net.

“The first half we definitely outplayed them,” Mt. Blue coach Fred Conlogue said. “I have to give them some credit, they were able to capitalize on a defensive error. That was definitely the turning point. They haven’t scored a lot of goals this . . . A lot like them, we’re struggling to get goals as well.”

The Cougars cut the lead to 2-1 with 18:07 left to play when Miranda Nicely shot into an open net after Eryn Doiron’s shot deflected off a Cony defender. The Rams, who were playing without midfielders Hayley Quirion, who is injured, and Kaitlyn Bilodeau who was ill, hung on from there. Hersey moved senior Josie Lee from the front line into the midfield where she held her own.

“Our coach fired us up (at halftime),” Lee said. “We were excited the score was still tied. We just put a lot more pressure on offense and we really worked the ball up the field.”

Sudsbury finished with seven saves, including a good one against Giustra with 10 minutes left. Sweeper Olivia Deeves kept the Cougars off the board in the first half with several defensive clears.

“She’s played like that every game,” Hersey said. “They got a few ball through and she was able to cut them off before their forwards got to them.”

Gary Hawkins — 621-5638

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.