NEWPORT — The Nokomis field hockey team remembers its game on Sept. 13 as well as any other this season. The Warriors were in control, Oceanside scored with a little over two minutes left, and Nokomis settled for a tie.

So when Nokomis had a one-goal lead against Oceanside on Wednesday, the Warriors went all out to rewrite the script. After playing sluggishly over the final 10 minutes of the first half, Nokomis controlled the second half and put home two goals in the final 15 minutes to seal a 3-0 victory in an Eastern B quarterfinal.

“We kind of had a talk at halftime that we didn’t want this to be like the last meeting that we had with them,” Nokomis coach Katie Thompson said. “So we didn’t want to come out in the second half flat like we ended the first half, and give them opportunities. We worked at halftime to increase our intensity and start the second half like it was starting the first half, zero to zero.”

No. 2 Nokomis (12-2-1) will now host No. 3 Foxcroft at 10 a.m., Saturday in the semifinals. Oceanside finishes 8-5-2.

The Warriors went up 1-0 just 62 seconds into the game when they converted a penalty corner. Kelsey Kerstetter inserted the ball to Taylor Lovley on the left side, and Lovley tucked a grass-hugger inside the left post.

Oceanside coach Joanna Hall called timeout with 10:17 left in the half after three consecutive Nokomis penalty corners, and the Mariners began to attack.

With a little over six minutes left, Oceanside got a tic-tac-toe pass on a penalty corner for a shot, but Nokomis sweeper Kamryn Foss made a defensive save. Still, the Mariners had the momentum heading into the second half.

“During halftime, Coach really gave us a good pep talk, and told us to really step it up,” Kerstetter said. “We knew they would probably come back, so we had to just really put it to them.”

Nokomis did step up, and kept pressure on the Mariners throughout the second half. With 14:09 left, the Warriors scored again on a penalty corner. Lindsay Whitney fired a shot that was blocked by Oceanside’s Jackie Thorbjornson. The ball trickled away, and Kerstetter grabbed it and stuffed it in to make it 2-0.

The final goal was also on a corner, this time with Whitney scoring from the top of the circle with 7:47 to play. The Warriors have had trouble in the last four minutes of games at times this season, but after Thompson called timeout with 3:57 left, they finished the job and put themselves in a position to play Foxcroft. The teams were former rivals in the Penobscot Valley Conference, but did not meet in the regular season this fall.

“We scrimmaged them in preseason,” Thompson said. “They’re always a really skilled team.”

Matt DiFilippo — 861-9243

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.