State Fire Marshal Joe Thomas today issued  a warning about the proper use of wood stoves a day after an Augusta man suffered serious burns in a fire on Civic Center Drive.

Michael O’Leary, 38, tried to use gasoline to start his wood stove inside the porch of his home Saturday morning, Maine State Police said in a statement. He is being treated at Maine Medical Center in Portland for serious burns and his wife, 36-year-old Amanda O’Leary, was treated and released from MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta for smoke inhalation. The family dog died in the fire.

“Homeowners should never use a flammable liquid to start a wood stove fire because the vapors are explosive and cause a fireball,” Thomas said. “Only paper and kindling should be used to start a wood stove.”

Firefighters from several departments responded to the fire, which was called in around 9 a.m. Saturday. The ranch-style home, which is in Augusta near the Belgrade line, sustained heavy smoke and heat damage, according to state police.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.