WATERVILLE — No one would really recommend it. You can even argue that no one would do it unless they felt they had no other choice.

Going with limited substitutes is one thing. On Thursday afternoon, the Thomas College women’s lacrosse team went with no substitutes for the entire 60-minute game against Regis. The Terriers held on, taking a 16-12 non-conference victory.

“I had two that left early for break,” Thomas coach Lauren Bickford said. “I had two that were injured and I had one that was very sick last night and couldn’t play today.”

Gardiner graduate Jenn Day scored five goals and Messalonskee grad Miranda Tinsman had four goals and an assist for Thomas. The Terriers, who lost 15-10 to Regis last season, began this one like they would have the game long decided before they needed any subs anyway.

Thomas led 3-0 less than four minutes into the game on goals by Tinsman, Day and Jillian Lambert. With 23:36 still to play in the first half, Erin Nelligan scored to make it 4-0 and Regis assistant coach Chris Hopkins shouted, “What’s going on? Come on!” The Terriers then upped their lead to 5-0 less than a minute later on Tinsman’s second goal.

Regis (5-4) called timeout after that goal and virtually eliminated Thomas’ offense for the next 12 minutes. The Pride got as close as 6-4 when Sashae Walls scored a man-up goal with 7:23 left in the half.

“We definitely came out strong, (and) faded a little bit once we kind of got a little too comfortable in the game,” Bickford said. “But they managed to hold their own and stay ahead the whole game.”

Thomas was up 8-5 with under a minute to play in the first half. Nelligan scored with 38 seconds to go, then went down the right side off the ensuing draw control for a pair of goals in 10 seconds.

“I just got them on the draw and had my teammates with me to help out really good,” Nelligan said. “I don’t know — it just all clicked together and happened.”

That made it 10-5 at the half instead of 8-5 and that difference became more crucial as Regis inched closer. After falling behind 12-6, the Pride reeled off four goals in a row, getting within 12-10 with 13:13 to go.

“We were just getting tired,” Nelligan said.

Less than two minutes later, Regis was on the move again. Thomas goalkeeper Brittany Fox came out to try to intercept a pass and there was a collision. The referees issued a yellow card on Walls and Ceara DiBiase carried the ball more than half the field before scoring a top-shelf goal. It was the first goal of the game for DiBiase, who entered Thursday with 16 goals in seven games.

“She kind of had stayed hidden herself this game as a top shooter,” Bickford said. “So it was good to see her kind of take control of the game again and get the tempo back up.”

Regis couldn’t get back within two goals. Day put in the final two goals for Thomas, the last with 9.4 seconds to play.

Matt DiFilippo — 861-9243

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.