WINTHROP — A local man police say led them on a brief chase after he struck two other vehicles in his pickup truck was shocked with a stun gun multiple times as he struggled with officers during his arrest.

His daughter also was arrested, as she allegedly confronted police as they were arresting her father after the chase, which ended when he crashed next to his own driveway on Route 133.

Donald True, 46, was the driver of a 1989 GMC pickup truck that struck two vehicles in separate accidents on U.S. Route 202, police said.

He was arrested on charges including eluding an officer, leaving the scene of an accident, assault on a police officer, aggravated reckless conduct and failing to submit to arrest, according to an affidavit filed by Winthrop Officer Justin Trask.

Also arrested was True’s daughter, 20-year-old Alicia True, at True’s Route 133 residence. She was charged with assault and obstructing government administration.

About 4 p.m. Tuesday, a truck police say was driven by Donald True was westbound on U.S. Route 202 in Winthrop when it struck a 2012 Toyota pickup truck, which was also westbound, driven by Rebecca Deblois, 34, of Winthrop.

True allegedly drove away from that accident scene, still headed west on U.S. 202, and struck another vehicle about two miles away, a 2001 Buick driven by Karen Oldenburg, 55, of Augusta, according to Sgt. Daniel Cook.

True then also left that accident scene, police said.

Several calls from witnesses enabled police to intercept True as he was headed north on Route 133, toward Wayne. Witnesses reported True’s truck had front-end damage and was smoking. Officers tried to stop the vehicle, but True refused to stop, they said. A chase ensued, with speeds not exceeding 70 mph.

A front tire then appeared to blow out, Trask said, after which True crashed into a group of trees next to his Route 133 driveway.

True got out of the vehicle, shirtless and screaming, according to Trask.

“I drew my department issued Glock .40 (caliber) pistol out and pointed it at Donald,” Trask wrote. “I was yelling to Donald to get down on the ground. I then observed Donald to start walking towards Officer (Timothy) Falvey and as he was walking towards Officer Falvey Donald was screaming ‘just shoot me.’ I did not see any weapons on Donald so I holstered my weapon and pulled out my Taser X26. I shouted at Donald that I was going to tase him, and he kept going towards Officer Falvey.”

Trask said he deployed the stun gun and its probes hit True, but True ripped one probe out and continued toward the other officer.

Falvey and Cook started to pull True down, but he kept struggling, so Trask stunned him again. After a fourth shocking, True lay flat on the ground.

Trask said as police were handcuffing True, his daughter, Alicia, came out of the residence, yelled at them and tried to pull police away from Donald True.

Both Trues were taken to the Kennebec County jail. Bail was set at $10,000 for Donald True and $500 for Alicia True.

Alicia posted bail and was released, according to jail officials, but as of Wednesday afternoon Donald True had not.

Police Chief Joseph Young said Wednesday that police do not know why True was driving so erratically.

“He hit a couple of cars, and other drivers also reported they were forced off the road by him,” Young said.

There were no passengers in any of the vehicles and none of the drivers suffered injuries that required hospital treatment.

Keith Edwards — 621-5647
[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.