HAMPDEN — Maine fire officials say a Hampden woman who suffered serious burns in an apartment fire saved herself by jumping out a second-floor window.

Officials say 37-year-old Jennifer Seekings was burned over half of her body when her bed caught fire, mostly likely because of a cigarette or candle.

She’s being treated at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

The state fire marshal’s office says Seekings jumped to safety at 11:30 p.m. Wednesday. She was living in an apartment in an addition to a house owned by her mother.

Hampden is on the Penobscot River just south of Bangor.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.