BLAINE — Fire officials say a 72-year-old northern Maine man has died after being critically burned while cutting up an old heating oil tank with a welding torch.

The state Fire Marshal’s Office says Reginal Otis of Blaine died in the overnight hours after being flown to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston with burns to 80 percent of his body following the Tuesday afternoon accident.

Investigators say it appears the torch ignited vapors as Otis was cutting apart the tank at his home. It’s unclear what type of flammable liquid remained in the tank.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.