DURHAM, N.H. — The University of New Hampshire is cleaning up water and smoke damage after a fire broke out in the Physics department.

Foster’s Daily Democrat reports that a faculty member was cleaning with isopropyl alcohol on Sunday evening when something reacted with the alcohol and started a fire on a countertop in DeMerritt Hall.

The sprinkler system quickly put out the flames, but there was water damage to the first and second floors as well as smoke damage to the second floor.

No one was hurt, and fire officials said none of the chemicals housed in the building were at risk.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.