A 91-year-old Brunswick woman was seriously burned in a house fire Wednesday evening, and a neighbor who helped her suffered minor burns, according to the Brunswick Fire Department.

The house at 14 Beech Drive was only minimally damaged, said fire Capt. Matt Barnes. He said the fire occurred in the mudroom and adjacent kitchen.

The woman was cooking when her clothing caught fire, Sgt. Joel Davis of the Sate Fire Marshal’s Office told WMTW.

Davis said the woman was wearing a life alert device that notified the fire department and a neighbor, an emergency contact.

The woman, whose identity was not released, was taken to the Maine Medical Center trauma center in Portland, Barnes said.

The fire department received the call shortly before 6 p.m.. When firefighters arrived at the house, Brunswick police were already carrying the woman out of the house, Barnes said.

Two other occupants of the house, a man and a woman, were not injured, he said.

He said firefighters extinguished the blaze quickly. He did not know the name of the neighbor who helped the woman.

He said the state Fire Marshal’s Office and Brunswick police are investigating the fire.

Tom Bell can be contacted at 791-6369 or at:

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.