PORTLAND — The mother of toddler Ayla Reynolds revealed additional information this week she said state police investigators gave her about the missing girl.

Trista Reynolds told WCSH-TV during an on-camera interview Tuesday that in addition to finding Ayla’s blood in the basement of father Justin DiPietro’s home in Waterville, where Ayla was reported missing, blood was found in DiPietro’s truck, on his shoes and in his bedroom.

Maine State Police spokesman Steve McCausland said that while police have kept Reynolds up to date on the investigation, he would not get into specifics of the case.

In August, Reynolds said she would release information in late September about the investigation that she said came from Maine State Police. She described it as “horrific physical evidence.”

Reynolds believes the information she has been provided is enough at least to charge DiPietro with child endangerment, according to the interview.

Reynolds is waiting until the end of September so she can recover from recent childbirth, according to Ayla’s step-grandfather, Jeff Hanson, who maintains the website aylareynolds.com.


Reynolds said she will release the information through the website on Sept. 24 and hold a news conference in Portland’s Lincoln Park the next day. Reynolds’ news conference is scheduled to start right after DiPietro is scheduled to appear on Sept. 25 at nearby Cumberland County Superior Court on a domestic-violence charge unrelated to his daughter’s case.

McCausland has said state police have no involvement with the upcoming announcement.

Neither DiPietro nor Reynolds could be reached for comment.

DiPietro was released Tuesday from Cumberland County Jail after he posted $350 bail. He had been arrested Friday on a charge of violating the conditions of his release on the domestic-violence charge. The charge stems from an incident in July when he allegedly pushed his ex-girlfriend, Courtney Roberts.

DiPietro and Roberts, along with DiPietro’s sister Elisha, were the three people home when Ayla was reported missing Dec. 17, 2011, from 29 Violette Ave. in Waterville.

State police have said those who were home the night Ayla disappeared know more about the disappearance than they are saying.

State police at a news conference in May 2012 in Waterville said it was likely Ayla was no longer alive.

Comments are no longer available on this story

filed under: