KENTS HILL — It was 20 days since the Maranacook/Winthrop hockey team last played a game. It was a bit longer since it last earned a victory.

Both droughts came to an end Tuesday.

Jared Hanson had two goals and an assist and Maranacook/Winthrop shook off some rust with a 5-3 victory over Leavitt in a Western B game Tuesday night at Bonnefond Ice Arena.

“We needed this win,” Hanson said. “We were a little rusty at first but we picked it up.”

Zack Phinney, James Canwell and Peter Prescott also scored for the Hawks (2-3-0), who last played Dec. 18. The Hawks last won a game Dec. 12.

Nick Lacasse had two assists for Maranacook/Winthrop, which snapped a two-game losing streak.


“It did take some time to get going,” Maranacook/Winthrop coach Chip Jones said. “But it feels good to get this victory. It’s been awhile.”

Clay Rowland scored for Leavitt (3-4-0), which had its two-game win streak halted.

Inclement weather, coupled with the holiday break, wreaked havoc on the Hawks’ schedule in recent weeks, forcing one postponement after another.

The weather cooperated Tuesday and Maranacook/Winthrop took advantage.

The Hawks were in control throughout and raced out to a 3-0 lead to put the game away.

Hanson opened the scoring when he converted a nice crossing pass from Lacasse with 6 minutes, 27 seconds left in the first period.


Lacasse forced an offensive zone turnover and skated down the slot before he was forced to the outside by a Leavitt defenseman. As he skated toward the left circle, Lacasse slipped the puck to Hanson, who buried the puck to the far post.

“We just always know where the other is going to be,” Lacasse said. “We’ve been playing together since we were like 6 years old.”

Prescott redirected a Thayer Whitney shot from the point past Leavitt goalie Ashton Dozios with 2:40 left in the period to make it 2-0.

The Hawks, who are fighting for a Western B playoff berth, carried momentum and much of the play in the second period as well.

Canwell scored a breakaway goal with 7:56 left in the second to make it a 3-0 game. Canwell charged in on Dozois and beat the freshman goalie with a low shot to the glove side.

“We picked it up in the second period,” said Jones. “We were a little weak at times in the first period but we really started to play stronger.”


Added Lacasse: “We definitely had to knock some of the rust off and we did. It’s been so long since we played, I don’t even know. This feels good.”

The Hawks pushed its lead to 4-1 when Phinney scored off a pass from Hanson in the opening minute of the third period.

Leavitt scored twice later in the period but never threatened to pull even.

Bill Stewart — 621-5640[email protected]Twitter: @billstewartkj

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.