Emergency crews responded to 527 Ledge Road in Yarmouth for a propane cylinder that had malfunctioned and was burning.

A nanny who had stopped by the home to let the residents’ dogs out reported the fire at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.

A 100-pound cylinder that was being used to warm a recently poured concrete foundation malfunctioned, spreading fire to some of the addition being built onto the house there, said Deputy Fire Chief Rich Kindelan.

Crews quickly extinguished the fire and the propane burned off. There was no explosion as had been originally reported, Kindelan said.

The incident happened on the north end of town near the Freeport town line.

There were no injuries. There was between $10,000 and $20,000 in fire and water damage, mostly to the addition and the equipment that belonged to the contractor working on the project, Kindelan said.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.